"In 2003, scientists at Paignton Zoo and the University of Plymouth, in Devon in England reported that they had left a computer keyboard in the enclosure of six Sulawesi Crested Macaques for a month; not only did the monkeys produce nothing but five pages consisting largely of the letter S, they started by attacking the keyboard with a stone, and continued by urinating and defecating on it." - Wikipedia.com, Infinite Monkey Theorem

Saturday, April 15, 2006

"You saw Dog Day Afternoon. If I'm gonna take it in the ass, I wanna be kissed first."

Been a bit since I posted, but with finals, Oblivion, and social demands, it's been tough. I have seen a few things of interest though.

Firstly, looks like the X-Men movies will finally have a Danger Room . What does this mean for us uber-geeks who salivate at the combination of words "Danger" and "Room"? Either a really bitchin' training sequence...or a very awkward one. Now, don't get me wrong, I have been amazed at almost every step that has been taken with this film franchise, but the Danger Room is sort of an enigma. It's one of those things you just don't screw up. If it ends up looking mighty awkward, then I'd be very sad. I'm already anxious enough as it is, having Brett Ratner directing the show now that Singer decided to bail for the lesser super hero--yes, I said it, Superman is a shitty super hero. I mean, The guy who did Rush Hour? I dunno man. I'll still be there opening night, but I just may not dress up this time. Or, any time.

There's also some good news, and some terrible news. I'll give the good news first.

And by good news, I mean great news, because Ubisoft, developers for a dozen or so amazing game franchises--including Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Drakengard, Splinter Cell--are finally dropping Starforce, the company that provided them with a digital-rights protection software which has come under massive heat in the last few months. It's not really surprising, considering Ubisoft is being sued over Starforce's Digital Rights Management (DRM) software. A $5 million law suit is sure to break up any good relationship.

Frankly, I could not be happier about it. Starforce was a terrible system that, quite frankly, didn't work. I mean forget creating weakness in PC's, allowing them to be hacked, blah blah. The shit didn't even WORK. And not in the sense that it was easy to get around. I'm talking in the sense that half the time it doesn't allow you to play the game you've legally bought. Plus, after the whole Gallactive Civ thing, Starforce has pretty much lost every leg it had to stand on.

That doesn't mean Ubi's going to stop using DMR's though, just like Sony didn't after their whole DMR scandal. I have nothing against DMR, even being an admitted game pirate. It's just that, frankly, their aren't a whole lot of them that don't either screw up, or leave you exposed. We'll see where Ubi goes with this.

And, now the bad news. Blade, one of my favorite movie franchises--yes, I know it was a comic book first, and yes, I don't include the third one 'cause it was fucking terrible--has sunk even lower thank it did with Blade Trinity. It's now coming to TV. Spike TV, to be exact--terrible trailers for which can be forcefully viewed here and here.

All I can say, is what the fuck? First, Goyer kills all of Del Toro's work in Blade 2 with Blade Trinity--ohh, look, Ryan Reynolds being funny. What show was he on? Two Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place? Wait, you mean he's been playing the same character from that show, in every single movie he's been in? Really? What? You're shitting me. Also, terrible directing, terrible story, TERRIBLE Dracula, and Triple H.

Now they're bringing it on TV? Ok, breathe. It might not be that bad. I mean, it's Snipes, right? I'm sure he can salvage the character with his natural charisma...wait. Snipes isn't in it? Who is? STICKY FINGAZ!? The washed up rapper who played, get this a washed up rapper on The Shield? I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked his character on The Shield. But a rapper? As Blade? Fuckin hell.

I will end this by referring you to the title of this post.

Peace,
Ram

3 Comments:

At Saturday, April 15, 2006 4:00:00 PM, Blogger Tonka Time said...

God, I feel so dorky for commenting on this post. I'd like to preface my comments by stating that I had a very dorky junior high existence and my collection of X-Men and The Uncanny X-Men are still individually wrapped in acid-free archival quality plastic bags.

Anyway, if I were you, I won't have any high hopes for the Danger Room scenes. Knowing Brett Ratner and his directing style (I think Prison Break is the only redeeming quality in his resumé), he's bound to fuck it up. This is the man who directs movies the exact same way as he directs 3-minute music videos. Also, he was totally going to add mutant hookers into the movie (http://defamer.com/hollywood/gossip/ratner-brings-mutant-hooker-to-x3-party-110962.php) until I'm sure Hugh Jackman threatened him with his prosthetic adamantium claws. So basically, this man is going to FUCK THINGS UP.

That aside, I agree that the Danger Room is an awesome entity in the comics. But I'm more surprised that Gambit has yet to show up in the entire movie franchise—not even as an extra in the background during the school scenes. New Orleans gets another snub.

 
At Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, agreed, though Gambit's one of thoe characters you really couldn't put in the background, because fans would go nuts since they all want his boner sauce. They need to find someone good for him. Like that Russian guy playing Collossus. A bit of English, and he'll be fine.

Also, if Prison Break is his only redeeming quality, like, the standard we are to set this film on, I am gonna be really pissed by the end of this movie.

 
At Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:05:00 PM, Blogger Morgan Smith said...

The only time gambit "shows up" In X2. In the scene where Mystique is impersonating Deathstrike, you'll see his name pop up as one of the mutants on file if you're looking really closely at the computer screen that Mystique is going through.

Holy fuck. Why do I know this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home