"In 2003, scientists at Paignton Zoo and the University of Plymouth, in Devon in England reported that they had left a computer keyboard in the enclosure of six Sulawesi Crested Macaques for a month; not only did the monkeys produce nothing but five pages consisting largely of the letter S, they started by attacking the keyboard with a stone, and continued by urinating and defecating on it." - Wikipedia.com, Infinite Monkey Theorem

Friday, April 14, 2006

Climbing the Corporate Ladder


Tonight marks a new personal record for me. Self-love jokes aside, I am a titan amongst men in the field of general awesomeness.

Sitting at home today, mere hours before my shift at the Liquor Store began, my phone rings. It's Duff, the manager. Yes, the manager is named Duff. And yes, he's the manager of a liquor store. OH YEAH!

He asks me if I want to come in an hour early. Having nothing better to do apart from browsing for amusing and stylish cloth hats for my warrior on the Cho'Gall auction house, I kindly oblige. At this point, he casually mentions that I've just become the store's new assistant manager. I must have passed some sort of test, because this just came out of left field. Or maybe it was the bullpen. I don't watch too much baseball.

I've been working there for all of 3 months now, having started in the middle of chilly January. In my prior occupations, I've achieved both quick and prominent promotions, though not at the same time. That is to say, I was promoted to Crew Trainer within a month at McDonald's, and at Movie Gallery, I made it up to the position of Senior Crew Supervisor, though it took a fair amount of time.

But assistant manager in three months? I must have really bested the competition. Having beat out both Terri, who quit on maternity leave, and that other guy, the guy who doesn't work at the store, is an impressive feat, to say the least. As competitive as I am, it's nice to have no realistic competition for once. Or in this case, no competition of any sort, at all, whatsoever.

Life is easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home