"In 2003, scientists at Paignton Zoo and the University of Plymouth, in Devon in England reported that they had left a computer keyboard in the enclosure of six Sulawesi Crested Macaques for a month; not only did the monkeys produce nothing but five pages consisting largely of the letter S, they started by attacking the keyboard with a stone, and continued by urinating and defecating on it." - Wikipedia.com, Infinite Monkey Theorem

Saturday, April 01, 2006

An "Unmissable" Post...

So, I'm watching Law and Order: SVU tonight. Now, before we go any further, I want to explain: in my defense, I only ever watch SVU when I'm already on the couch, can't find the remote and are too lazy/tired/sick/hungover to look for it. (Actually, tonight, it was all four.)

Anyway, they are doing that little teaser thing at the end. You know that they called next week's SVU? "Unmissable." It was an unmissable episode.

I doubt that is a real word. Is missable a word, even? I looked it up. None of the four dictionaries I own (Jesus, I'm a word nerd.) had "unmissable" in them. A quick search of online dictionaries show that only two out of six (Oxford and Cambridge) listed it. What makes it even stranger is that my 2006 Canadian Oxford doesn't have it in there, but apparently the American one does.

So, I'm putting this to a vote: Is there such a word as "unmissable?"

And truth be told, it doesn't matter if it is. Even if "unmissable" is a word, it is a REALLY, REALLY bad one. So fuck you, NBC. Shameful.

String,
Lilwall

2 Comments:

At Sunday, April 02, 2006 4:37:00 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I wouldn't even say it's a bad word, so much as that it's a bad word to use in describing an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Tonka Time said...

You know what's more shameful? The fact that you're not watching L&O:CI. Vincent D'Onofrino just told Eames that Michael York speaks Mandarin with a Thai accent. Like how does he even know that? Is the NYPD really that good at on-the-job training?

That shit just blows my mind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home